A Brief History of Thomas County, Kansas and the Thomas County Courthouse
||October 8, 1885
||General George Hentry Thomas, hero of the Battle of Chickamauga (Relatives of General Thomas were in Thomas County when the cornerstone box was opened on October 8th, 1985)
||Named after the soldiers that died at the Battle of Chickamauga
||Thomas County is 30x36 miles, making it 1,080 square miles
||Colby Community College - Started in 1963 by special Legislation.
3 Public Schools: Colby, Brewster, and Rexford.
Sacred Heart Catholic School, Heartland Christian School in Colby, and numerous home schooled families.
||Citizens Medical Center built by donations and opened in 1982
Family Center for Health Care Clinic
Colby Medical & Surgical
Numerous chiropractors and dentists
Several physical therapy locations
2 Nursing Homes
|Thomas County Courthouse:
||Built in 1906 with a $50,000 bond issue after the Commissioners "traveled" to Osborne County, Kansas to view the courthouse there. The courthouse is Romanesque style with lots of detailing in the limestone - note the front steps and sides. J.C. Holland was the architect; he designed the courthouses for Clay, Geary, Marion, Mitchell, Ness, Osborne, Rice, Riley, and Thomas counties.
|National Historical Society:
||Placed there in 1976 by the County Commissioners and Historical Society
||Kansas State Historical Society
|Bell Tower & Clock:
||The clock was added a couple of years after the courthouse was completed, for a cost of $1,200, electrified in November of 1975 by Mr. Elton Lewis Howe of Washington, D.C.